Proposal & Budget Development
Once a funding opportunity has been identified, the work of proposal preparation begins. The process involves internal (CSU systems/processes) and external (sponsor systems/requirements) components.
CSU Proposal & Budget Preparation
KR PD is CSU’s system of record for proposal and budget information. A KR PD record should be started as soon as possible after the opportunity has been identified, so that all parties (PI, department research administrators, OSP administrators) can use the record to track the proposal deadline, share attachments and sponsor information for review, and eventually route the proposal for approvals.
- Depending on the sponsor/program, KR PD may be used to develop a proposal for system-to-system submission
- The PD record should contain, at a minimum, an accurate budget, a budget justification, and a project summary or brief scope of work, as well any attachment required for department and college review.
- If a sponsor portal does not have any kind of administrative requirement or role for access and submission, the KR PD record must include all of the information and forms required by the sponsor so that department, college, and OSP personnel have access to the information.
- The budget construction engine in the KR PD record must be used to develop accurately calculated line items with the applicable rates, including personnel & fringe, F&A (indirect costs), and inflation.
The sponsor may have a specific system required for submitting the proposal.
- If the portal has institutional-level administration, OSP may need to set up an account, or an account must be affiliated with CSU. Contact OSP early in the process to ensure portal access for the PI and administrators.