Our Spectroscopy laboratory is equipped with an FT-IR spectrometer with various attachments (including ATR) and a microscope, a UV-VIS-NIR spectrophotometer, a fluorescence spectrometer, and a spectrometer for dynamic light scattering (DLS).
- Agilent (Cary) UV-Vis-NIR: Equipped with VASRA or Variable Angle Specular Reflectance Accessory that is used with thin films at angles from 20 to 70 degrees; Praying Mantis diffuse reflection analysis of solids and powders.
- Edinburgh FS5 spectrofluorometer:
- Light source: 150 W xenon lamp
- Excitation monochromator: 200-1000 nm; Emission monochromator: 200-1000 nm
- Reference, Transmission and Emission detectors (230-870 nm spectral range for emission)
- Fluorescence lifetime capability (TCSPC – Time Correlated Single Photon Counting)
- TCSPC sources: EPLED-320 (320 nm picosecond pulsed LED) and EPL-510 (510 nm picosecond puled diode laser)
- Temperature controlled sample holder and solid sample holder
- Integrating sphere for quantum yield measurements
- Malvern Zetasizer Nano ZS: With 633nm ‘red’ laser- for size measurement of particles and molecules (e.g. proteins) dispersed in a liquid (using dynamic light scattering, DLS); zeta-potential of colloids and nano particles for predicting dispersion stability (using electrophoretic light scattering); and the measurement of microrheology of protein and polymer solutions. The high performance of this instrument also enables the measurement of molecular weight of macromolecules.
- Nicolet iS-50 FT-IR spectrometer: With ATR-ZnSe for thin films, powders and liquids; Harrick Grazing Angle Reflectance Accessory for thin films on metal or semiconductor substrates; Gemini Diffuse Reflectance Accessory for non-reflecting powder materials.
Please use the iLab Portal to request training and schedule time on instruments.
NOTE: There is a minimum charge per project. Collaborative efforts are encouraged.