Non-Financial Agreements

CSU’s Office of Sponsored Programs is authorized to act on behalf of the University with regard to various types of non-financial agreements related to sponsored activity. CSU’s Office of General Counsel, Procurement Office, and Contracting Office also handle non-financial agreements. Contact your OSP Senior Research Administrator for referral to the appropriate CSU office for assistance.

Scientific materials being transferred between CSU and another organization must be contractually covered with a Material Transfer Agreement (MTA). The purpose of the MTA is to protect the intellectual and other property rights of the provider while permitting research with the material to proceed. These agreements describe the terms and purpose of the exchange, including the period of performance, intellectual property rights, liability issues, publication, confidentiality or financial terms, and the specifics of the materials and their transfer.

Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) Intake Form

(Directs to an external website to complete the Kuali Build MTA Info form)

Send documents and questions to [email protected]

Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs), also known as Confidentiality Agreements or Proprietary Information Agreements, are commonly requested when two or more parties wish to enter into initial discussions about specific processes, methods, or technology for the purpose of determining the potential for a future relationship. An NDA is a legal agreement which defines information that the parties wish to protect from dissemination and outlines restrictions on use.

Nondisclosure (Confidentiality) Agreement (NDA/CDA) Intake Form 

Send documents and questions to [email protected]

A Date Use Agreement (DUA) is a contractual mechanism that documents what data are being shared and how data can be used. DUAs typically address the period of the agreement, intended use of the data, constraints on data use, confidentiality, security, and methods and costs of data sharing. DUAs should create a balance between protecting confidentiality when necessary while permitting appropriate publication and sharing of research results based on University policies, applicable laws and regulations, and federal requirements.
Data Use/ Transfer Agreement (DUA) Intake Form
For general questions about data sharing and DUAs, contact your OSP SRA.

A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) may be used in the early stages of a collaboration to help define each party’s role and contribution to a proposed project. An MOU is not usually considered a legally binding contract but can help provide clarity on project activities and deliverables in a multi-partner proposal to a sponsor. If a Request for Proposal document includes reference to ‘teaming agreement’ or ‘MOU’, contact the OSP Senior Research Administrator (SRA) for your college or department. You should also include your department research administrator and OSP Research Administrator, to keep everyone on the same page.

For general questions about MOUs, contact your OSP SRA.