Research Safety Resources

New Research Employee/Student:
All personnel shall meet with an HR liaison, obtain a CSU ID number and an eID.
Additionally, all personnel shall:
1. Read the email from Workplace Answers and follow the directions as required to review CSU human relations policies.
2. Complete the online Occupational Health risk assessment here.
3. If you are a new or departing PI, please review CSU’s Move-In, Move-Out Procedures here.

Note: you may be required to log in with your CSU eID to complete the registration process for certain registrations below.

JEDI Resources:

Science has a responsibility to advance Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI). Below you will find resources at CSU to incorporate into your training and your research group’s training:

Secure and Global Research and the Information Security Office are here to help you protect Sensitive Data and Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI) in order to comply with federal regulations for your research.  Even if your research does not involve CUI, it may use other types of sensitive data, such as Personally Identifiable Information (PII) or Protected Health Information (PHI), which also require certain protections.  The Information Security Office can work with you to identify best practices for securing your research. Please contact Research IT Compliance with questions or concerns.

Register here and complete BSL 1, 2, and Biosafety Cabinet training (Biosafety tab). Key Personnel? Take IBC training. (Go to Take/Renew IBC PI training once logged into RICRO).

Take the online Responsible Conduct of Research course here and face-to-face training as necessary here. Key Personnel? Take Financial Conflict of Interest training here.

Register here and complete Radiation Safety Training (scroll down for schedule and classifications to determine which courses to complete).

Register here for and complete IACUC training (Animal Care and Use tab). NOTE: Additional animal handling units are recommended.

Register here for and complete IRB training (CITI Program) and obtain IRB review/approval prior to any human subject research activity, including recruitment. NOTE: If you have current training from a previous institution, you can provide certification to transfer.

Working in ARC-MMA CRB 109 (Walkup NMR facility)
Please watch ‘Magnet Training Video’ and take ‘Magnet Safety Quiz’

Working in any of the ARC-MMA laboratories in the Chemistry basement
Please watch ‘Magnet Training Video’ and take ‘Magnet Safety Quiz’

Working in ARC-MMA/ISS X-ray laboratories
Register here (select Brian Newell as Principal User) and complete Radiation Safety Training Modules 0 and 8 when using the following laboratories: Chemistry C04 (XPS/XRD), Chemistry C03A (MPMS/PPMS), Chemistry B115 (SAXS/XRD/SC-XRD), or CRB 204L – SC-XRD

Register here and select Respiratory Protection to enroll in the Respiratory Protection Program.

Register here and complete online blood-borne pathogen training (Biosafety tab). NOTE: Additional IRB training may be required; refer here.

Register here for required BSL-3 training (Biosafety tab). (NOTE: all persons shall take BSL1, 2, and 3 Concepts training, the mock BSL3 training, and complete In Barrier training with the PI or delegate thereof. Additional training, such as
Characteristics and Symptoms, Select Agent Regulations, and IATA and DOT 6.2 and 9 Dangerous Goods trainings may be required based on specific job duties.)

Register here and complete site-specific training (IDRC, Painter and/or South Campus tabs).

Please review the document Considerations for Field Work. Additional resources can be found here under EHS Manuals and Safety Fact Sheets.

Consider reviewing the 2021 Fieldwork Toolkit Leadership Training Series.

Off-Site Research by Berkeley can be found here.

All CSU-sponsored international travel must be registered; student travel is registered with the Education Abroad Center and employee travel is registered into the Kuali-TEM system through Risk Management and Insurance. Registered travelers will receive travel resources and documentation of a mandatory travel authorization.

Please visit the CSU Higher Risk Travel web page and follow all processes to authorize travel to higher risk countries or travel involving higher risk activities.

Please watch the CSU International Travel Oversight Committee and Advising for Higher-Risk Travel panel discussion, which was part of the 2022 CSU International Symposium.

If you plan to buy and/or use chemicals, please review the Chemical Acquisition & Management System (CAMS) information here

Register here for CAMS training.

Register here for hazardous waste generator training (Chemical Management tab).

Please review the American Chemical Society’s “Security Vulnerability Checklist for Academic and Small Chemical Laboratory Facilities”

Please consult the CSU Drone Center.

In order to receive authorization to conduct a flight operation, all instructions on the DRONE USE AT CSU page must be followed.

Research Safety Reporting

Risk Management and Insurance Incident Reporting
This includes safety concerns, near misses, Worker’s Compensation incident/claim forms, and vehicle/property damage forms. Learn more.

General Safety Concern or Near Miss Reporting
This includes information about safety concerns or opportunities for safety improvement, “close call” types of situations that could have led to an incident, and feedback on currently implemented safety solutions. Learn More.

New Incident, Injury, Illness, Exposure Reporting
This includes Worker’s Compensation claims and reports of exposures or incidents that have occurred and could lead to future illness or injury. Learn More.

Bias Reporting System
The Bias Reporting System is an effort to understand and assess the current state of bias-related incidents at Colorado State University in order to better meet the needs of our diverse community. It serves three core purposes: Support, Education, and Assessment. Learn More.

Employee Resources for Conflict Resolution
Identifying which CSU Office to contact will depend on the parties involved and a situation’s circumstances. Learn more.

Biosafety Concern or Incident Reporting
This includes any biological incidents or accidents including, but not limited to: spills, potential exposure, misuse, or non-compliance with a protocol. Call (970) 491-0270. Learn more.

Anonymously Report a Biosafety or Security Concern with Select Agents/Toxins
HHS Office of Inspector General Hotline 1-800-409-9926
USDA Offce of Inspector General Hotline 1-800-424-9121

CSU System Compliance Reporting Hotline
This includes suspected noncompliance with laws, regulations, and policies. Learn more.

Tell Someone
If you are concerned about a student OR an employee, Tell Someone. Call (970) 491-1350 to discuss concerns about any member of the CSU community, or use the Online Referral Form. Learn More.

OEO: Where to File a Complaint
The Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) supports Colorado State University’s commitment to promote human and intellectual diversity by fostering an inclusive environment for all members of the University community. Learn More.

EMERGENCIES – Threats to life and safety: Call 911 from anywhere on campus; CSUPD non-emergency number (970) 491-6425