The Colorado State University Biosafety Office, under the Vice President for Research, offers a variety of online and face-to-face biosafety training courses. Annual biosafety training is required for all persons working in the BSL3 laboratories (persons working with procedures/agents requiring BSL3 laboratories AND those working with Select Agents in the BSL3 labs). To take an online course or register for a face-to-face class, go to the EHS Training website.
Important changes to BSL3 training requirements (2/18/14)
- Effective immediately, Unit 1b is no longer available. This is now replaced by BSL3 Concepts combined with BSL1 and 2 Online Training. The title of the new online training course is “BSL1, 2, and 3 Concepts Training” and can be found online on the EHS training database. Please note, users who take the “BSL1, 2, and 3 Concepts Training” are no longer required to take “BSL1 and BSL2 Online Training” as this material is covered in the concepts training.
- Effective immediately, the Mock BSL3 Refresher Training (also known as Unit 3 refresher) is now available online! The title of this new training course is “BSL3 Lab and Cabinet Refresher Training”; the power point slides and quiz can be found on the EHS training database. This refresher training must be taken annually. For those still wishing to take the face-to-face Mock BSL3 Refresher Training, please contact Heather Blair.
- As a reminder, PIs are responsible for in-barrier training of their supervisees. The PI may delegate the training to another qualified user; however the PI is ultimately responsible for ensuring that their laboratory personnel have been properly trained. In addition, the PI is responsible for keeping up to date training records for individuals in their lab and must be able to make those records readily available to the Biosafety Office upon request. To assist with maintaining these training records, an online database has been developed where PIs (or delegates) can log in the training information for individuals in their lab. This database is available for PIs and their lab personnel to use. For questions regarding how to use this database, please contact Dr. Richard Bowen.
In an effort to streamline Biosafety Training for BSL3 laboratories, the following changes have been made (8/28/12)
- Effective immediately, PIs and supervisors must use the Mock BSL3 Training Request Form to request the Mock Lab BSL3 training for individuals in their lab. In addition to some basic information regarding the trainee, the form also asks about the type of work the trainee will be conducting at BSL3 and their previous lab experience. The will allow Biosafety to better tailor the training to fit the needs of the individual. The form is located on the EHS website, under the Biosafety link. Please note, the form must be filled out by the supervisor; forms submitted by the trainee will be returned. For questions regarding the Mock Lab BSL3 Training, please contact Heather Blair.
- Unit 5 (15 hours supervised training inside the barrier) has been eliminated. Effective immediately, the PI is responsible for in-barrier training of their supervisees. The PI may delegate the training to another trainer; however it is the PI who is ultimately responsible for ensuring that their laboratory personnel have been properly trained. In addition, the PI is responsible for keeping up to date training records for individuals in their lab and must be able to make those records readily available to the Biosafety Office upon request. A Best Practices document is available with information regarding what is required for the training records, as well as guidelines for training. For questions regarding in-barrier training, please contact Heather Blair.